The lazy man’s pie, roll out the dough, fill with fruit, and turn up the sides! This galette is doable on a hot day because it bakes in only 30 minutes. It was delish!
For the crust:
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup ice water
For the filling:
- 2 large peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 2 cups strawberries, cut in half
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 large egg beaten
- granulated sugar for sprinkling
1. In the bowl of a food processor combine flour, salt, and butter. Pulse until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add ice water, a tablespoon at a time, until dough begins to clump. Form into a disk by hand, wrap in plastic and refrigerate dough for at least an hour.
2. Preheat oven to 400º. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 13″ round. Transfer dough to a parchment lined baking sheet. In a large bowl, toss peaches and strawberries with sugars, flour, and vanilla.
3. Scoop fruit in the center of rolled out dough, leaving a 2″ border. Fold the dough over the fruit and pleat the edges as you work your way around. In a small bowl, whisk the egg and lightly brush on dough, and sprinkle with sugar. Put the tart in the freezer for 20 minutes – this will help it keep it’s shape.
4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown.