I had a bowl of lemons staring at me on the kitchen table, leftovers from Saturday night’s chicken piccata. It was cold and windy on Sunday, I thought that maybe by making something citrusy I could jumpstart spring. It was still cold and windy when I finished baking, but at least there were lemon brownies, hot coffee, Netflix, and a faux fur throw on the sofa.
For the brownies:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8″x 8″ baking dish and set aside.
2. With an electric mixer, beat flour, sugar, salt, and butter until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, lemon juice, and lemon zest, then add to the flour/butter mixture. Beat for a few minutes until smooth. Pour into the baking dish and bake for 25 minutes. Test the center with a toothpick, it should come out clean. Let the brownies cool.
For the glaze:
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon warm water
1. Sift the confectioners sugar into a small bowl. Add lemon juice, lemon zest and warm water, whisk to combine.
2. Pour over cooled brownies, and spread with a rubber spatula or butter knife. Let glaze set, and slice into bars.