I had a bowl full of very ripe nectarines on the kitchen table that was begging to be a pie. Because of time constraints, I settled on a galette. I threw some blueberries in there too – it was a devil-may-care kind of day….
For the pastry:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup ice water
For the filling:
- 6 to 7 ripe nectarines, sliced
- 1 1/2 pints of blueberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon milk
- coarse sugar
1. In the bowl of a food processor combine flour, salt, and butter. Pulse until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add ice water, a tablespoon at a time, until dough begins to clump. Form into a disk by hand, wrap in plastic and refrigerate dough for at least an hour.
2. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 13″ round. Transfer dough to a parchment lined baking sheet.
3. Slice the nectarines, toss with lemon juice. Add sugar, and vanilla, add the blueberries.
4. Scoop the fruit onto the dough, leaving a 2 inch border all around. Fold the dough over the fruit and pleat the edges as you work your way around, you’ll wind up with a tart that’s approximately 9″ in diameter. Place the tart in the freezer for an hour – this will help it keep it’s shape.
5. Preheat oven to 350º, remove galette from freezer. Make an egg wash by beating an egg with a teaspoon of milk, brush on the pastry, and sprinkle with the coarse sugar. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes.