I got up with the birds on Sunday morning, and since I had the luxury of time – I decided to make a batch of cookie dough for the great holiday bake-off of 2014. In the next two weeks or so, I’ll steal bits of time here and there and mix up various batches of dough for the freezer, so I can do my baking all in one shot! These cookies are chewy, and the addition of the cranberries add a nice tang. Since there’s oatmeal in them – I’m pretty sure it’s okay to have a few for breakfast!
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups oatmeal
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 350º. In a small bowl, soak the dried cranberries in hot water, set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars, then add the egg and vanilla.
3. In a medium bowl whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together and add it to the butter/sugar mixture. Stir in the oatmeal.
4. Drain the cranberries, pat dry with a paper towel and add to the dough. Drop by tablespoon onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until lightly golden. Let sit for 5 minutes after removing them from the oven, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Makes 2 dozen cookies.