It’s March, one day we’re sans jacket, the next we need our polar fleece. March can’t make up it’s mind. However, there are strawberries at the market, and nothing says warmer weather like a fruit galette!
For the Crust:
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup ice water
For the filling:
- 2 pounds strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon Turbinado sugar
1. In the bowl of a food processor combine flour, salt, and butter. Pulse until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add ice water until dough begins to clump. Form into a disk by hand, wrap in plastic and refrigerate dough for at least an hour.
2. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 13″ round. Transfer dough to a parchment lined baking sheet.
3. In a large bowl, toss sliced strawberries with sugar, cornstarch, vanilla bean seeds, and lemon zest.
4. Scoop strawberries in the center of rolled out dough, leaving an 1 1/2″ border. Fold the dough over the fruit and pleat the edges as you work your way around. Place the tart in the freezer for a half hour – this will help it keep it’s shape.
5. Preheat oven to 425º. Remove galette from freezer, and brush crust with egg/milk mixture. Sprinkle with Turbinado sugar and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350º, and bake for an additional 40 to 45 minutes.
Drooling over here… sigh…