Last year was a bad one for peaches in these parts, something about a rainy spring. In an attempt to make up for lost time, I made this pie for my friend Dan Love – world traveler, photographer extraordinaire, baseball fan. Happy birthday Dan, hope you had a swell day!
- 1 1/3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 stick of very cold butter, cut up into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 6 cups sliced peaches
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
1. Put flour, butter, and salt in a food processor with a metal blade pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add ice water until the dough begins to clump together. Form into a ball, place in plastic bag, and work dough into a flat disc. Refrigerate for an hour.
2. In a large bowl toss peaches with the sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla.
3. Roll out two thirds of the dough to fit an 9″ pie plate, ease pastry onto plate. Scoop the fruit into the pastry, dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry and cut out long 1/2″ strips. Weave the lattice crust, tuck under the crust and crimp.
4. Place pie on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 425º oven for 20 minutes. Lower the heat to 375º and bake for another 35 to 40 minutes until crust is golden.