The problem with most pancake recipes is that they typically call for a cup or two of buttermilk. And let’s face it, unless you’re planning ahead to make pancakes – no one just happens to have buttermilk in the fridge. This recipe uses ordinary ingredients you have around the house, so there’s no running to the store in your Hello Kitty pajamas. If you’re not a morning person, you can even throw the batter together the night before. However you do it, make these pancakes – you won’t miss the buttermilk, I promise!
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
1. In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt together.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla, and oil together – add to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine, but don’t overmix – it’s okay if the batter is a little lumpy.
3. Cook on a lightly oiled griddle or pan over medium heat until both sides are golden. Makes about 9 – 4″ pancakes.