Galettes – when there’s no time no make a pie. They’re rustic, show off their luscious fillings, and can be thrown together in a snap. You can even use store bought crusts – no judgment here! A galette is the perfect dessert to bring to an end of the summer soiree.
For the pastry:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/4 cup ice water
For the filling:
- 4 cups peaches, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon milk
- coarse sugar
1. In the bowl of a food processor combine flour, salt, and butter. Pulse until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add ice water, a tablespoon at a time, until dough begins to clump. Form into a disk by hand, wrap in plastic and refrigerate dough for at least an hour.
2. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to a 13″ round. Transfer dough to a parchment lined baking sheet.
3. Slice the peaches and strawberries, toss with sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla.
4. Scoop the fruit onto the dough, leaving a 2 inch border all around. Fold the dough over the fruit and pleat the edges as you work your way around, you’ll wind up with a tart that’s approximately 9″ in diameter. Place the tart in the freezer for a half hour – this will help it keep it’s shape.
5. Preheat oven to 425º, remove galette from freezer. Make an egg wash by beating the egg with a teaspoon of milk, brush on the pastry, and sprinkle with the coarse sugar. Bake at 425º for 15 minutes, turn oven down to 375º, and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes until crust is golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack.