Coffee flavored coffee cake muffins – they go perfectly with a cup of….wait for it…..coffee!
For the crumb topping:
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the muffins:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup coffee
- Make the crumb topping – combine all ingredients together in a small bowl, and chill until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375º, line a muffin tin with papers.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, espresso powder, and cinnamon in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Beat egg and egg yolk together with the brown sugar and salt. Slowly add in the butter and vanilla.
- Add the coffee and flour mixture in three batches, ending with the flour. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add 1/3 of the crumb topping to the batter.
- Pour batter into muffin papers, and top with remaining crumb topping.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, test with a toothpick. Makes 12.
(Adapted slightly from a Sweet Paul recipe.)